At this period the village continued to be a prominent ship repairing centre; quite large sloops and schooners coming and going between the River Urr and the Scottish and English coastal ports. The trade was in fish, fertiliser, granite and timber, although the Urr Navigation Order of 1901 lists scores of other items in its scales for landing charges at the harbour in Palnackie, including coal and bricks, sheep at sixpence a dozen and cattle at two pence per head. :. The curlers who were revelling at The Anchor in 1885 would at least have had the benefit of a road to travel home by. Just four years previously, in 1881, the residents had taken it upon themselves to improve the access to the village — raising £300 to extend the road from the bottom of Kipp Hill along the waterfront as far as The Anchor. It provided the impetus for the building of new houses, the construction of the sea wall, and the extension of the road, by 1914, to the Rough Firth.
But access by water continued to play a major role in the village. The present public jetty on the waterfront was built in 1893, and a pier (opposite the Solway Yacht Club) was also in existence 1902. It was constructed by the Caledonian Granite Company of Liverpool, and around this time there was considerable employment at the Kipp Quarry which connected to the pier by a railway, now Quarry Road. Photographs of the old pier can still be seen (in the public bar of The Anchor and elsewhere); but in the years between the two world wars work at the quarry declined, the pier fell into disuse and was eventually demolished a few years after the 1939-45 war.
Plans to re-open the quarry in 1973 — on the grounds that it could have a further life of 30 years and create as many as 20 local jobs — had the village in uproar. Perhaps it was felt that the 20 jobs justified the blasting, the dust, and the lorries and the impact on property values and the holiday trade; at any rate the idea was abandoned and did not even reach outline planning stage.
The site of the old quarry pier now occupies, roughly, the site of the Solway Yacht Club’s pier and floating pontoons. Sailing for pleasure, rather than commerce, made its formal debut in 1904 with the founding of the Solway Sailing Club, fore-runner of the yacht club.