Below are the draft minutes from the Kippford Association AGM held on November 25 2019

Papers were circulated to all residents one month prior to the meeting.

 

Draft Minute of the 2019 Annual General Meeting of the Kippford Association held in Kippford Village Hall at 7.00 pm on Monday 25 November 2019.

 

  1. Welcome by Chairperson of the Kippford Association (David Jamieson)

The Chairperson welcomed the audience to the meeting, introduced himself and explained that it was his first AGM as Chair.

The attendance sheet recorded 50 signatures.

 

  1. Apologies for absence

Apologies had been received from 9 members.

 

  1. Minutes of the meeting held on 26 November 2019

Draft Minutes had been published and distributed previously. These were agreed to be an accurate record. Proposed by Frank Williamson. Seconded by Tony Hartnell.

 

  1. Matters arising from the Minutes of the last meeting

There were no matters arising. A comment had been made regarding point 7 which referred to the necessity of responsible landowners to cull deer when necessary. There was some opposition to this view but it was hoped that it would not be necessary in the near future. The situation will be monitored.

 

  1. The Chairperson’s Review (David Jamieson)

This was divided into 2 parts – the Hall and the Nature Reserve – the 2 assets for which the Committee is responsible.

  • The Village Hall. The main refurbishment has now been completed. The new curtains were the last element added. Feedback from within and outwith the Village has been good and we should be proud of the Hall as a focus for the Village and the wider community. The Hall has been used throughout the year for regular clubs, 2 weddings and various charity events. All money raised from these is fed back into Hall funding. No charge is made for the use of the Hall by charities. A number of Village events have been held, including a recent wine tasting evening and the Village Dinner which was moved from May to October due to the difficulty of finding a suitable date. The success of the move has led to requests that October be the regular date. Not all events are fund-raisers. A new group, Chatter Cups, has been set up to provide a regular drop in tea/coffee session. It has been very successful so far. It was set up by Jean Marchbank, assisted by the Chairperson. All are welcome.
  • The Nature Reserve.  The formal name for this is the Kippford Community Nature Reserve. This name will be used on notice boards and when publicising the Reserve more widely. It has already generated interest from the wider community with invitations to speak at Dumfries and Galloway Council events to promote volunteering and the use of social media as a means of communication. Communication methods used include an email list of residents (147 registered addresses), Facebook (500+ Followers), Twitter and Instagram accounts, a website which includes Minutes of meetings, names of Committee Members etc, and a paper Newsletter with key stories and event details which is circulated to every house. The latter was restarted this year and has received good feedback. Any suggestions for improvement in communication methods are welcome eg What do you think we are missing?

There were no questions.

 

  1. Questions for the Treasurer - the Treasurer’s Report (Richard Copson)

The Trustees Annual Report, Balance Sheet and Receipts and Payments Account had been circulated previously. The Accounts have been audited by K H Biggar, CA and reported to OSCR,  the Charities regulator.

A number of questions were asked which focussed mainly on the funding of the Nature Reserve in the future, when setting up grants had been spent.

Question – Is it the intention to continue to keep separate accounts for the Hall and the Nature Reserve? Answer – This will continue for next year but in the future the accounts will be merged although significant expenditure in either area will be identifiable.

Question – How will the Nature Reserve fund itself in the future? Answer – a wayleave payment, charges for grazing, a donation box on the Reserve  and Forestry Commission maintenance funding.

Question – If the accounts are merged how can villagers make donations to just the Hall or the Reserve? Comment – It will be difficult to split some donations as those for car parking may be made with the intention of visiting the Village, the Reserve or both.

The Chairperson intervened to record that we should be proud of being ahead of the curve in improving the environment by planting trees and stating  that the Committee will keep a watching brief on spending in each area as there is no intention of overcommitting spending to the Reserve and not continuing to refurbish the Hall when required. Applications for further grants for the Reserve will be made if/when necessary.

The Treasurer concluded that information provided in the Accounts will be detailed enough for transparency. The Treasurer requested villagers make the usual  annual donation to ensure the future viability of the Association.

 

  1. The Kippford Community Nature Reserve – update (Mike Riding)

The formal name of the Reserve will be used when dealing with the wider community although some residents may continue to call it The Kipp. Grants have been received from the Forestry Commission, D&G Council, Robin Rigg Community Fund, Lottery Awards For All and SWEAT Landfill Fund. A grant from Scottish Natural Heritage is awaited. Letters and emails have been received praising the Reserve.

Work done this year includes:

March – 4,600 native woodland trees arrived (17 species) and were planted by volunteers over the course of 26 mornings. They have been planted in 6 compartments to create a wildlife habitat mosaic. The final session attracted 30 volunteers. Payment of the grant has been made following a successful inspection of the work. The trees have established very well and fewer than 40 have died.

April/May – Local contractors, Dempster Plant Ltd, were hired to carry out the structural work on the site. Work began in August to create: paths, a pond, benches, culverts, gates and drains. Signposts for the entrance and sponsor acknowledgement are still to come. Finger posts with directions will be added. Water downflow is a continuing issue and will be monitored and corrected as required.

November – The planting of the Arboretum will be done. The focus will be on the birch tree. Advice has been provided by Threave Gardens and the National Birch Collection (Devon). A planting plan has been drawn up and birches from Scotland, Japan, Nepal, China, India, Iran, Georgia, Azarbaijan, and North America will be planted. This will be a special collection.

The Future – Once tree planting has concluded, the work on habitat improvement will continue. This includes scrapes, scrubland, meadows, bird boxes etc. Grants will be applied for to improve the top entrance ie to rebuild the dyke and remove old and damaged trees. A new secure gate will be added at the top. An old well has been discovered in the middle of the Reserve and the stonework will be restored.

Maintenance – The Forestry Commission will supply funding for weeding for 5 years. Volunteers will be needed for strimming and maintaining ditches.

Sponsorship – It will be possible to apply to sponsor a tree or a bench. Costs will be £100 for a tree and £350 for a bench. Plaques will be created for these. There will be 8 benches (3 are already sponsored including one for the residents). Applications to David Jamieson by e-mail.

 

 A number of questions were asked.

Question – What are the plans for parking? Answer – the Council has not given planning permission due to limited sightlines. As a separate project, the Committee is pursuing a reduced speed limit on the road (more information under AOCB) – this may assist the limited sightlines.

Question – How can disabled visitors access the Reserve? Answer – The lower path has been designed for motability access. Gradients have been tested for pushchairs and motability scooters. It is hoped to have car parking spaces when possible.

Question – Will the paths be accessible for mountain bikers? Answer – No because of damage to the paths but, hopefully, signs will not be required to deter them.

 

  1. Ratification of Committee Members

As the Committee currently has a full complement of 12 members with none having completed the 3 year limit included in the Constitution, a proposal was made to forego an election but to ask the meeting to ratify the co-opting of Sam Sample. This was not agreed as there was a nomination from the floor. An election, with secret ballot, was held. Sam Sample was proposed by Pat Finlay and seconded by Eileen Steele. Mervyn Wallace was proposed by John Opray and seconded by Martin Rosindale. The votes were cast and counted by Robert Kennedy and Eileen Steele. Sam Sample was duly elected. The Chairperson will contact Mervyn Wallace should another vacancy arise.

 

  1. AOCB - Any Other Competent Business
  • Repairs to the Hall floor will be carried out.
  • An extension to the Hall kitchen has been proposed. A feasibility study is being carried out and costing will be done. The amount will be higher than the Committee can allocate and so a presentation and special meeting will be required. Costs would need to be recouped and so changes to the use of the Hall would need to be considered.
  • Speed reduction – discussions have taken place regarding the possibility of reducing the current speed limit of 60 mph to 40 mph on the road between the junction with the A710 and the 30 mph sign. Speed testing has been done and the campaign will continue.
  • Scottish Water Infrastructure proposals – There is no update on what was presented at an information stand in the car park on Monday. The Chairperson is pursuing more details regarding Why?, Where? and When? work will be carried out. He is working with Colvend Community Council which is recognised by the Council as a planning body and proposes a Sub-committee with representatives from Merse Way, Jubilee Path and Rough Firth. Information received will be distributed using the usual communication methods.
  • The water heater in the kitchen has been repaired.
  • Gerry Dunlavey thanked the Committee and residents for the work they do for the Village.
  • The Chairperson thanked the Committee for their work.

 

The meeting closed at 8.35 pm.